Brookfield Hydro

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: knighs, nedsram

Brookfield Hydro

Postby SK121NZ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:52 pm

I came across this post on another forum :

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=64357

I would think that Health & Safety / Fire Service / Council would have the power to do something about this potential major fire risk in Poynton if the pictures are to be believed !!!
Somebody must still be paying the electricity bill (for the two freezers) ? ... or it would have been disconnected.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents
SK121NZ

Re: Brookfield Hydro

Postby RETACY » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:33 am

I remember it when it was a gym - about 20 years ago.
It is so sad to see an old building, in such a prime location, in such a sorry state.
Do the Rentons still own it? (they did own the Brookfield Hydro Garage for many years and might still do??)
RETACY

Postby boatmanckp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:39 am

Fascinating. CKP
boatmanckp

Postby topgunhorse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 am

Does that infer that he broke in? Hence the comment that entry would be difficult during the day!
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club. P.M. me if you wish to join.
topgunhorse

Postby gavin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:18 am

Very interesting. The words Marie Celeste spring to mind.

One thing, who can blow up a balloon that stays fully inflated 8 years later?! :mrgreen:

Gavin
gavin

Postby Tilphil » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:14 am

RETACY wrote:I remember it when it was a gym - about 20 years ago.
It is so sad to see an old building, in such a prime location, in such a sorry state.
Do the Rentons still own it? (they did own the Brookfield Hydro Garage for many years and might still do??)

Yes, I believe the Renton's still own both the garage and the building and will only sell the two together - thus cutting out many likely interested parties.
Tilphil

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Its fascinating to see inside, I cant believe how much stuff has been left in there. I had my 30th in the function room on the top floor a long long time ago.
ScoobyDoo

Postby lesley » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:42 pm

i remember when it was an italian resteraunt cant remember the name of it though
lesley

Postby SK121NZ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:49 pm

lesley wrote:i remember when it was an italian resteraunt cant remember the name of it though

It was LA PRIMAVERA, Lesley.

According to Les Durrant, that doyen of Poynton history, in his popular book ONCE UPON A TIME IN POYNTON …... THE HISTORY OF OUR LOCAL SHOPS & BUSINESSES …...

Businesses and Shops on London Road South (W Side)

No. 10
1910 - Wasteland

1930 - Brookfield Cinema
Cafe and ballroom built in 1938 (had two WWII electrical DC generating sets for the projection equipment & the early arc lamps). Bought by Co-op 1947.

1950 - Brookfield Cinema Cafe and Ballroom finally closed in 1957 - - then in

1967 - - Bought by the adjoining Brookfield Hydro Motors Ltd.
10A Cafe re-opened as Brookfield Hydro Restaurant in late 1960's

1970 - Brookfield Hydro Motors Ltd. Garage & Petrol Station
10A La Primavera Italian Restaurant with dance floor. --- closed 1979 ---

1980 - Brookfield Hydro Motors Ltd. Garage & Petrol Station
10A ARENAGYM and Wine Bar --- opened 1980 until late 80's ---

1990 - Brookfield Hydro Motors Ltd. Garage & Petrol Station
10A The Foyer Cafe Bar and Landing Restaurant

2000 - Brookfield Hydro Motors Ltd. Garage & Petrol Station
10A The Foyer Cafe Bar and Landing Restaurant

2008 - Brookfield Hydro Motors Ltd. Garage closed in 2007 and For Sale
Petrol Station – still open, but for sale.
10A The Foyer Cafe Bar and Landing Restaurant. Closed & For Sale

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents
SK121NZ

Postby rafiki6 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:01 am

Personally I wouldn't call Les Durrant a 'doyen' but certainly give him lots of credit for what he's done.
I would add further to the topic -
Extract from Co-operative News 6 Dec 1947
The Brookfield - only cinema in the village of Poynton has been purchased by the Poynton and Worth Society for a sum which is stated to be in the neighbourhood of £35 000.
Since it was opened in 1938 when it replaced a small old fashioned hall, the Brookfield has not only been Poynton's only cinema, it has largely filled the function of the social centre of a growing area.
In addition to a modern and well appointed auditorium, the cinema buildings include a cafe and ballroom which are in regular use throughout the year, not only for lunches, teas and snacks, but also wedding and other parties and private dances.
Its owners and builders, Mr and Mrs R Bailey have also managed the place and have always been concerned that the Brookfield should be a real social centre for Poynton which was once a mining village but in now largely residential. They have always encouraged young people to make of it a rendezvous and during the war, when many American and other troops were in the area, as well as members of the RAF, the cafe was always crowded.
The cinema has a stage large enough for dramatic work and the Poynton village players regularly use it for their productions.
The cinema has 920 seats while there are a hundred places in the cafe and the ballroom will take 150 dancers with comfort
A large car park adjoins the land as part of the site.

I will now search secret files for more info.
R
rafiki6

Next

Return to Poynton Forum