BLACK SLIME

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: knighs, nedsram

BLACK SLIME

Postby keioak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Has anybody suffered from a black slimey deposit in their domestic water supply and pipes?
We have had this problem for quite a while now.
The shower head needs "bleaching" every month, the washing machine gets full with a black sludge etc.
I have contacted United Utilities who say that it is nothing to do with them, it must be my pipes. But where does it come from and is it harmful if in the drinking water?
Does anybody else have this problem?
keioak

Re: BLACK SLIME

Postby Mooky » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Sounds like you have quite an old heating system and the central heating water is getting into the domestic hot water.
Found this on primatic systems or what is also called a single feed indirect system.

Separation of the primary heating circuit water and the domestic hot water is achieved by a plug of air trapped on initial filling of water within the heat exchanger inside the cylinder. One method of identifying this type of cylinder is by the absence of a smaller header tank that feeds the central heating system

Unfortunately, failure of the air bubble causes the central heating water, which is often discolored, to mix with the DHW, resulting in contamination. This could be caused by too much water on the central heating side, or by over pumping.This risk means that inhibitors cannot be used and this has therefore led to the use of indirect cylinders. Primatic's are no longer used and if you have one you may consider a replacement. It is not advisable to fit any type of pumped shower to this type of cylinder as the pump could cause the failure of the air bubble.
Mooky

Postby rafiki6 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 am

Sounds like a mould growth to me. Especially found at the wall/bath/shower tray joint where soapy water has not been cleaned/dried off - like your shower.
Black specks coming through your taps might have been coal dust from inside very old Poynton pipes or( not admitted by the water authorities) internal break up of pitch fibre pipes used for water mains (I'm told)
R
rafiki6

Postby Mooky » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 am

Black coal dust?
If you have ever emptied a radiator there is a black sludge that comes out at the very end. This is caused by oxidation in the pipes due to copper and iron in the system and is prevented by the use of an inhibitor.

It's not suitable for primatic systems as treated water may leak into the domestic hot water system and as there is no header tank for the central heating you can't get the inhibitor in the system anyway

Keioak, I would get a plumber out to this and quickly, drinking radiator water can't be good. Have a look in the loft, if there isn't as small tank then you have a primatic system that's leaking.
Mooky

Postby topgunhorse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 am

There is a gas safe plumber that advertises on this site. Jon Kitchen. But in one of the adverts his phone number is one digit wrong it should be 01625 859263. (other gas safe plumbers are available!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ) but he is very helpful!
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club. P.M. me if you wish to join.
topgunhorse

Postby pringle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Keioak
we have this problem black slime from the cold water tap in the bathroom not the one in the kitchen ,like you ,on a regular basis we have to cleaning the shower head and replace the shower curtain, the same with the soap dispenser on my washer , that was cleaned a couple of weeks ago and its as bad again . We had a new boiler replaced last year ( combi) had new pipe work fitted all radiators flushed and we still have the problem so it doesn't seem like it an internal problem no one seems to no what causing it
pringle

Postby Poyntonresident » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:43 pm

pringle wrote:Keioak
we have this problem black slime from the cold water tap in the bathroom not the one in the kitchen ,like you ,on a regular basis we have to cleaning the shower head and replace the shower curtain, the same with the soap dispenser on my washer , that was cleaned a couple of weeks ago and its as bad again . We had a new boiler replaced last year ( combi) had new pipe work fitted all radiators flushed and we still have the problem so it doesn't seem like it an internal problem no one seems to no what causing it

Exactly the same here as well - shower head constantly needs a good clean as does the washer dispenser
Poyntonresident

Postby rafiki6 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes, mooky,some of the old iron water pipes in Poynton did have an internal coating of coal. At one time Poynton's water came from the pits and it was very hard. Later we went on to Stockport water which was much softer but in times of water shortage we went back to the 9 inch borehole into the mines at the side of Lady's Incline (near Blenheim Drive area) and the actual pump was housed in the brick building just east of the new Christian care home. I think it used to be the Capstan House? We later had a water supply from boreholes in Adlington and I believe we now can consider to be on Stockport water again.
According to my mate, the black oxide in heating pipes is FeO3 (magetite - a magnetic sludge and is deemed 'passive') and has nothing to do with copper pipes - you can still get it with plastic pipes and of course is the reaction of oxygen on iron. On the other hand, if you get the brown sludge (FeO 2 ?? and very aggressive) then you are in real trouble - holes in radiators etc. If any remedial work needs doing, why is a gas safe engineer required? - could be an oil boiler or solid fuel. If there's no wet central heating system, what then?
rafiki6

Postby nedsram » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I think that the water is now "blended" Stockport (i.e. Lake District) and Adlington. It's certainly far less hard than it used to be, but not soft like "Manchester" water.

A new pipeline was put in place some years ago connecting the water main going along Middlewood Way near the A6 with the Woodford pumping station and Wilmslow. It crosses the A6 near Simpson's corner, the "mad mile" near Towers Road, Woodford Road Poynton north of the railway bridge, Woodford Road Woodford near the golf course, and Moor Lane near the brick market.

The earlier history is news to me. Thanks for the info.
nedsram

Postby keioak » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Slime is only evident on cold water, shower head and soap dispenser in washing machine. Heating system is new, condenser type, no tanks. System has a magnetic filter system as well to remove magnetic particles and sludge form system.
Its more like a slimey jelly than the black sludge that come out of the bottom of a radiator.
It appears that others have a similar problem - but not sure what is causing it??
keioak

Next

Return to Poynton Forum